An estimated 90% of the world's pyrotechnics are manufactured in China and shipped by cargo boats across the ocean. Importers of pyrotechnics must show coverage to interested parties such as the "Harbor Master" and the Bureau of ATF (Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms -and explosives. Per the ATF website:
The regulations at 27 CFR, Part 555, require that any person engaging in the business of importing, manufacturing, dealing in, or otherwise receiving display fireworks must first obtain a Federal explosives license or permit from ATF for the specific activity...
... Federal explosives regulations require that importers must keep records of and place marks of identification on all fireworks imported for distribution.
The need for importers to maintain insurance not only protects the importer from lawsuits, but protects the general public by ensuring the regulations and contingency measures are met.
For more information about the Federal laws, please visit the ATF's website at:
If you import pyrotechnics in the United States, you will need insurance, the proper license and permit, and compliance with the DOT (Department of Transportation) and other pertinent state and Federal laws including worker's compensation.
Call our office and speak with one of our agents or brokers to discuss your needs and get a no obligation quote.